Protecting the Privacy of Your Personal Health Information
Collection of Personal Health Information
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may included, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to Atikokan General Hospital and the care that you received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- treat and care for you,
- get payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer or others),
- plan, administer and manage our internal operations,
- conduct risk management activities,
- conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending patient satisfaction surveys),
- conduct research,
- compile statistics,
- fundraise to improve our healthcare services and programs
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements, and
- fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law.
Portions of your personal health information may be collected and stored in a shared electronic information system and is available to health care providers who are involved in your care.
You may access and correct your personal health records, or withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us (subject to legal exceptions).
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
How to Contact Us
Please see our Privacy Contact page for information on how to contact.
Director Health Information Management & Privacy
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact Bridget Davidson (Manager, Health Information and Privacy) at:
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you think we have violated your rights:
- Phone: 1-800-387-0073
- Fax: (416)-325-9195
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org