The Atikokan General Hospital was recently recognized by the NWHU for our outstanding work in concluding an Outbreak in the ECW in December 2019. Read the full release below.
Congratulations to the staff and administration at the Atikokan General Hospital on the successful management of the recent Influenza Outbreak on the long term care unit Dec 17-26, 2019.
”Key factors associated with the timely resolution of this outbreak included:
- Notification of reported respiratory illness circulating in the community by the Northwestern Health Unit
- Active surveillance, early detection and isolation of symptomatic cases
- Prompt reporting of the situation to the Northwestern Health Unit
- Same day collection, delivery, testing, and reporting of nasopharyngeal samples by the Public Health Lab in Thunder Bay
- Comprehensive department representation on the Outbreak Management Team
- Timely and effective internal and external communication with staff, residents, visitors and community partners
- Implementation of enhanced infection prevention and control measures
- Up to date renal function results were readily available for all residents. This resulted in early antiviral treatment of cases, and prophylaxis of well residents, within 48 hours of symptom onset in the index case
- Up to date lists of influenza vaccination for residents, patients, and staff
- High vaccination rates in the resident population
- Initiation of the staff exclusion policy for unimmunized staff
These responsive and decisive actions effectively stopped transmission and resulted in resolution of the outbreak in 10 days. We applaud your efforts and ongoing willingness to work in partnership with the Northwestern Health Unit.”
CHECK OUT THE FULL PUBLICATION HERE